Saturday, December 23, 2023

A Feel In The Christmas Air

A Feel In The Christmas Air
James Whitcomb Riley

THEY'S  a  kind  o' feel  in  the  air,  to  me,
When  the  Chris' mas  time  sets  in,
That's  about  as  much  of  a  mystery
As  ever  I've  run  agin! -
Fer  instance,  now,  whilse  I  gain  in  weight
An'  gineral  health,  I  swear
They's  a  goneness  somers  I  can't  quite  state-
A  kind  o'  feel  in  the  air.

They's  a  feel  in  the  Chris'mas  air  goes  right
To  the  spot  where  a  man  lives  at! -
It  gives  a  feller  an  appetite -
They  ain't  no  doubt  about  that! -
And  yit,  they's  somepin' - I  don't  know  what  -
That  follows  me  here  and  there,
And  ha'  nts  and  worries  and  spares  me  not -
A  kind  o'  feel  in  the  air !

Is  it  the  racket  the  children  raise?
W'y,  no! - God  bless  'em! - no!
Is  it  the  eyes  and  the  cheeks  ablaze-
Like  my  own  wuz,  long  ago? -
Is  it  the  bleat  o'  the  whistle  and  beat
O'  the  little  toy  drum,  and  blare
O'  the  horn?  -No!  No! - It's  jest  the  sweet -
The  sad  sweet  feel  in  the  air.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Constructive comments are appreciated. All comments are moderated and do not immediately appear after publishing. I don't publish spam folks. Thanks and have a nice day!