Then came an old-fashioned guessing game : How Do You Like It? When Do You Like It? AND Where Do You Like It ?

In this, one of the company is sent out, and the rest choose some article or object with several different meanings, which she, on her return, must endeavor to discover by asking the three questions, " How do you like it ?" " When do you like it ?" and " Where do you like it ?" The one whose reply betrays the secret pays a forfeit, and changes places with the questioner.

Example. Fanny leaves the room : her companions, having in her absence decided on the word "box," recall her.

Fanny. Jane, how do you like it ? Jane. Of Chinese workmanship. Fanny. And you, Clara ?
Clara. Not too crowded.
Fanny. Mary ?
Mary. Lined with crimson velvet.
Fanny. Now, Agnes.
Agnes. Filled with pleasant people
Fanny. Martha, it is your turn.
Martha. Green and flourishing.
Fanny. Constance ?
Constance. Well cushioned.
Fanny. And Ellen ?
Ellen. Inlaid with silver.
Fanny. Annie ?
Annie. Not too hard.
Fanny. Come, Emily.
Emily. Large and handsome.
Fanny. And when do you like it ?
Jane. When I'm at work.
Clara. In the evening, after nine o'clock.
Mary. At any time.
Agnes. Some day next week.
Martha. At all seasons of the year.
Constance. Whenever I can get it given me.
Ellen. On my next birthday.
Annie. When I have neglected my music-lesson
Emily. Next time I go a journey.
Fanny. And now where do you like it ?
Jane. On my table.
Clara. At the opera.
Mary. On my toilet.
Agnes. At the theatre.
Martha. In my garden.
Constance. In the best circle.
Ellen. Where it can be seen and admired.
Annie. On my ear.
Emily. In my dressing-room.

If Fanny is still unable to guess the word, she pays a forfeit, and again leaves the room : if not, the one from whom she guesses it changes places with her.